Monday 11 November 2013

Mushroom Soup

Makes four generous bowlfuls.

Put a tiny amount of vegetable oil and butter/spread into a pan, just enough to soften two chopped onions for a couple of mins (can be roughly chopped as it is going to be blended later).

Add 8-12 ozs of mushrooms (if they are big, chop them roughly or tear them up as you add to the pan) and soften with the onions for a couple of minutes, then lower the heat and put a lid on for five minutes to keep softening.

Then stir in about an ounce of plain flour (I don't measure it out, a heaped dessert spoon or a rounded tablespoon is about right) and let it cook while stirring for a minute.

Add a pint of liquid slowly at first while stirring to mix in flour paste . This can be all milk if you like it creamy, but can be mixed with water (I would recommend you use at least half milk).

Add in a pinch of dried basil and some black pepper (you might also want to add in about a half a vegetable or chicken stock cube) and bring it to the boil, stirring occasionally.

Turn heat down low and let it simmer for 10-15 mins partly covered (ie put the lid on but leave the spoon in), giving it the odd stir.

Finally, blend it to however smooth you like. (I use a wand blender; it's far less washing up). Have a taste and add more basil, pepper or salt/stock to taste. If it is too thick, add a bit more milk or water and reheat.


(This reheats well. so I usually make it the day before, when I'm cooking that night's tea, as it doesn't take a lot of preparation or attention, and just leave it simmering or switch it off while eating, and come back to blend quickly after. It also reheats in the microwave quite well, so is good to take to work for lunches, but I wouldn't imagine it would freeze well.)


You might also like:

Potato and Bacon Soup

Tomato Soup

Mushroom Rice

Potato/Cauliflower Soup

Curried Parsnip Soup


For more ideas, follow me on twitter @Tyne_Teas




Please visit my Intro post for more about my blog and me - I hope you enjoy my recipes : )

No comments:

Post a Comment