Sunday 8 December 2013

Salsa Salad

This is good at any time of year.

We usually have it with grilled chicken and tortillas to make wraps; it also goes nicely with tuna steaks or salmon fillets and new potatoes.



Serves 4

Finely chop one or two green chillies (I usually stick my hand in a sandwich bag, cut the stalk off, cut in half lengthways, scrape the seeds out and then use a rocker-chopper (mezzaluna) to chop without getting covered)

Chop finely a good big handful each of fresh parsley and fresh coriander (again I use the rocker-chopper as it's quicker)

Slice a bunch of spring onions, thin slices for the white bits, short lengths for the green bits.

Grind in some black pepper then add some lemon juice, about a tablespoon or two, you want it moist without being sloppy.

(If you are making it in advance, stop at this point and put it in the fridge. It will get too soggy if you add the cucumber and tomatoes too early)

Cut a cucumber in half longways and scrape a spoon along to take out the wet seedy centre. Then chop into small chunks. (I cut each piece into three or four lengthways and then cut across)

Cut a box of cherry tomatoes in half. (You can use big tomatoes chopped too, but they tend to be a bit too chunky if you are doing wraps, so I would serve on the side if this is what you are using)

I know this amount of chopping seems like more effort than a salad should be, but it really is worth it!

Quantities are very adaptable, it's not going to suffer if you only have two or three spring onions or fewer tomatoes for example, and the amount of chillies, parsley and coriander is very much to taste.



You might also like spicy prawn salad

Ribbon Salad

Spicy chicken drumsticks

Barbecue Ideas

For more ideas, follow me on twitter @Tyne_Teas




Please visit my Intro post for more about my blog and me - I hope you enjoy my recipes : )

No comments:

Post a Comment