Tuesday 4 February 2014

Mushroom Rice

A risotto it isn't, but a decent enough taste for the save on effort and fuss.

This goes nicely with chicken (and devilled sauce), ribs, curries, spicy chicken, marinaded chicken (stir in the excess marinade and juices from cooking), smoked haddock, on its own (maybe with some cheese grated over)...


Mushroom Rice

Put a small amount of oil or butter/spread in a pan and soften one or two chopped onions. Add 4-8ozs of chopped mushrooms and let them start to soften for a couple of minutes.

Add 8oz of rice (I usually use basmati, but whatever you have is fine) and stir for a minute, then add 3/4 of a pint of boiling water, half to one vegetable or chicken stock cubes, some black pepper and some parsley (if you are using fresh, add later, about half way through cooking the rice). Bring back to the boil, and then simmer gently on a low heat for 10-15 minutes (stir at least once half way through). If it is a bit soggy, leave the lid off for the last few minutes. (If you are using 'easy cook' rice it'll probably take a few minutes longer to cook)


For more ideas, follow me on twitter @Tyne_Teas




Please visit my Intro post for more about my blog and me - I hope you enjoy my recipes : )

No comments:

Post a Comment