Sunday 24 January 2016

Fish Stew


Fish Stew

Serves four

Gently heat a splash of olive oil in a casserole pan and soften a couple of finely chopped onions and about four cloves of chopped crushed garlic for a few minutes.

Add about 500g of new potatoes chopped into bite-sized pieces. (If I am not serving with crusty bread, I add about 250g more potatoes) then stir in about 1 tsp paprika and a pinch of cayenne pepper (maybe about a quarter teaspoon). Grate in the zest of 1-2 lemons then add the juice too.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a stock cube (fish/chicken/vegetable - I usually use chicken), a squeeze of tomato puree (about a tbsp), a big pinch of parsley (if using fresh add later with the fish) and some water (about half the tomato tin, but you may need more if your pan doesn't have a tight lid or are using more potatoes)

Bring to the boil then simmer gently with the lid on until the potatoes are almost cooked (about 15-20 minutes).

Add 1lb of white fish to the top of the pan then put the lid back on and simmer gently until the fish is cooked . I usually use a bag of frozen fillets because it keeps together nicely in big chunks (takes about twenty minutes) or you can use chunks of fresh (will take about ten minutes but be careful it doesn't end up as fish mince)

Then add about 200g of prawns and simmer (lid off if you need to reduce liquid a bit) until they are heated through, I usually just throw in a bag of frozen which take about five minutes.

Nice with crusty bread and green beans


You might also like

Beef in Beer

Chicken and Bacon Casserole

Loaded Skins


Stuffed Peppers


teaspoon = 5ml
tablespoon = 15ml
1lb is about 450-500g


For more ideas, follow me on twitter @Tyne_Teas




Please visit my Intro post for more about my blog and me - I hope you enjoy my recipes : )

No comments:

Post a Comment